This post was most recently updated on May 18th, 2018
Well Keyloggers-A Privacy Threat For Everyone . Yeah You Heard Correctly It’s A Threat To Your Privacy.You Must Be Thinking How It’s A Threat? What’s A KeyLogger? What Is It’s Uses And A Lot Of Questions You Must Have . Don’t Worry In Today’s Guide I Will Describe A Briefly About Keylogger,Its Uses And How To Be safe From A Keylogger.
What Is A Keylogger?
Keylogger Is Meant To Be A Cyber spy. i.e It’s a Tiny Hardware Device or a software program that records real time activity of a user,click strokes,browsing data,private info,encrypted info and almost each and every thing of the victim device.It allows you to monitor the Live screen actions of the victim user.
Types Of Keyloggers
Well Keylogger Can Be Termed In Two Ways That Are As Follows
- Hardware Keylogger – They Generally Record The Hardware Activities Of The Victim
- Software Keylogger – They Can Be Used To Have A Full Control Over The Victims Data .
Well Today We Will Have A Brief Intro About The software Keyloggers as they are the most used in comparison with the hardware Keylogger. I would like to tell you that software keylogger can give the total data/info of the victim to you . you can also get the encrypted data too that means that whenever the victim will enter his/her account credentials than you will get that info too. the best part is that you could also bypass the OTP. Yeah you will also Get The OTP Code That is being received by the victim . so by this you must probably got what a keylogger can do .
The main idea behind keyloggers is to get in between any two links in the chain of events between when a key is pressed and when information about that keystroke is displayed on the monitor. This can be achieved using video surveillance, a hardware bug in the keyboard, wiring or the computer itself, intercepting input/ output, substituting the keyboard driver, the filter driver in the keyboard stack, intercepting kernel functions by any means possible (substituting addresses in system tables, splicing function code, etc.), intercepting DLL functions in user mode, and, finally, requesting information from the keyboard using standard documented methods.
Experience shows that the more complex the approach, the less likely it is to be used in common Trojan programs and the more likely it is to be used in specially designed Trojan programs which are designed to steal financial data from a specific company.
Keyloggers can be divided into two categories: keylogging devices and keylogging software. Keyloggers which fall into the first category are usually small devices that can be fixed to the keyboard, or placed within a cable or the computer itself. The keylogging software category is made up of dedicated programs designed to track and log keystrokes.
The most common methods used to construct keylogging software are as follows:
- a system hook which intercepts notification that a key has been pressed (installed using WinAPI SetWindowsHook for messages sent by the window procedure. It is most often written in C);
- a cyclical information keyboard request from the keyboard (using WinAPI Get(Async)KeyState or GetKeyboardState – most often written in Visual Basic, sometimes in Borland Delphi);
- using a filter driver (requires specialized knowledge and is written in C).
We will provide a detailed explanation of the different ways keyloggers are constructed in the second half of this article (to be published in the near future). But first, here are some statistics.
A rough breakdown of the different types of keyloggers is shown in the pie chart below:
Recently, keyloggers that disguise their files to keep them from being found manually or by an antivirus program have become more numerous. These stealth techniques are called rootkit technologies. There are two main rootkit technologies used by keyloggers:
- masking in user mode;
- masking in kernel mode.
A rough breakdown of the techniques used by keyloggers to mask their activity is shown in the pie chart below:
Keyloggers Are Available For Every Operating system. Example Windows, Android, MAC,IOs etc. It Means That Whatever Os You Have Your Data Is Not secured . Your single Mistake can lead you privacy leak . Be Aware While Using The Web.
Best Features of A Keylogger
- It Can Get The Victim Gallery Data To You.
- It Can Help You To Monitor Live User Activity.
- You Can Get The Call Details/Message Details.
- Private Information Can Be Recorded. Ex Passwords,Email , OTP’s
- Browsing Information .
- Bank Account Info If Linked With Your Device Can Be stolen.
KeyLogger And Their Harmfull Effects
Keylogger Is Not Meant To be just for hacking Purpose They Are actually being made for the spy work but people use it in a wrong way. Keyloggers are sometimes Harmfull Malwares and Trojans that can be detected by an antivirus program. They Can Harm Your Device In The Following Ways:
- They Will slow Down Your Device speed.
- They Will Use Excess Battery And Can Low Your Battery.
- Can End Up Your Mobile Data .
- In some Cases , It Can Deploy Your Device.
How Keylogger Get’s Into Your Device ?
Generally KeyLogger’s Came Through Unknown Download Links From Unknown And Un-Trusted sources. But sometimes It Comes Along A File,Application,Network To Your Device That Can Affect Your Device A Lot.
How To Be Safe From KeyLogger’s ?
You could Be safe From Keyloggers By Following some Precautions While surfing The Web And Transfering Files Between Devices Through A Network.
- Always Download Files From Trusted source,Don’t Go For The Unknown Download Link’s.
- Don’t Open suspicious Files In Your Device,If Found Delete It Immediately As Opening The File Will Let The Keylogger To Be Active.
- Always Have A Upgraded Version Of A Best Antivirus Program.
- Always Have An Eye While Other’s are Using Your Devices As sometimes Friends Used To Install A Keylogger In Your Device. Be Alert.
- If You Feel something suspicious With Your Device i.e Hang Problems, Network Issues , Data Usage Increase Without Using Than These Are The symptoms Of Keylogger Presence . In That Case Immediately switch Off Your Networks And Reset Your Device As soon As Possible.
How To Remove KeyLogger?
If You Are Being A Victim Of A Keylogger And Had Faced These Issues Than You Must Probably Have To Remove The KeyLogger From Your Device As Fast As You Can.Below Are some steps that you could take to remove a keylogger.
>Check The Task Manager/Recent Application And Remove The Unwanted Applications From There.
>scan Your Devices On A Regular Basis With Upgraded Anti Viruses.
>Use Online KeyLogger Removers To Remove Keyloggers From Your Device.
>If Possible Reset The Device Which Is supposed To Have A Keylogger In It.
Conclusion : We Have Tried Our Best To Get You What A Keylogger Is,How It Works,Why It Is being Used And How They Work And Precautions To Be safe from keyloggers . In the above article we have taken the keylogger structure section from the source https://securelist.com And We Hope You enjoyed Our Article. Keep Checking For Updates