Looking for best Grammarly alternatives? You have landed at the perfect place.
Here, we’ll tell you why Grammarly is so popular and why you need alternatives for it.
Grammarly is an English language digital writing tool using artificial intelligence and natural language processing. The writing tool offers grammar checking, spell checking, and plagiarism detection services along with suggestions about writing clarity, concision, vocabulary, delivery style, and tone.
But the tool still lacks in certain departments. And there are other tools which can help solve the problem.
Grammarly has become a daily requirement for almost every person. Whether you are a blogger or a student, you can rely on the writing tool.
Good writing is for everyone. And Grammarly ensures that you present your ideas with clear, correct language. The writing tool is indeed a lifesaver for many.
Grammarly has over 20 million users worldwide. It enhances your writing skills and gives you a boost of confidence. Your writings will be entirely error-free and original.
1. Free Plan
Grammarly provides certain basic features free of cost. The free plan checks your spelling, grammar, and punctuation. This is suitable for individuals who need basic writing corrections.
Priced at $11.66/ month, this plan comes with advanced features. You get all the benefits of the Free plan. In addition, you can improve your fluency and readability of the text. Grammarly Premium comes with Plagiarism detection and additional advanced corrections. You can alter your word choice and formality level.
10 Best Grammarly Alternatives In 2020
Undoubtedly, Grammarly is one of the best writing tools. From grammar and spelling to style and tone, Grammarly helps you eliminate errors and find the perfect words to express yourself.
But there are only a few features you get with the free version. And to pay about $12/month for a grammar checker may seem outrageous to some.
Well, you need not worry. Here we have prepared a list of best Grammarly alternatives for you. Most of them offer a free plan and extensions. Go through the list and figure out what works best for you.
This tool is one of the best Grammarly alternatives. It can detect hundreds of previously undetected errors. WhiteSmoke corrects not only simple spelling mistakes, but everything from grammar, word choices and even style mistakes.
The software is widely used by students, professional writers, executives, bloggers, governmental employees and English learners.
Grammar Checker: WhiteSmoke Writer’s grammar checker ensures that your written documents are error-free. Even if you are not a pro at English, this tool can help you write a clear and professional piece of work. It also maintains the original tone of your work.
WhiteSmoke Writer’s Grammar Checker and Sentence Checker assist you in all the areas you could possibly need help in.
Like Grammarly, it helps in grammatical mistakes like incorrect punctuation, capitalization, and misspellings. But more than that it also assists you with incomplete sentences, modifiers, tense shifts, and more.
Spell Checker: Spelling mistakes though common are highly condemnable. WhiteSmoke not only corrects the misspelled words but also detects correctly spelled words used in the wrong context.
The spelling database changes dynamically over time, ensuring that as new words and concepts come into common use, WhiteSmoke can recognize them. This ensures that you remain updated with English.
Style Checker: Your sentences may be grammatically correct but sound monotonous. This bores the readers. WhiteSmoke helps you identify such sentences and change them.
WhiteSmoke’s writing style checker identifies the stylistic errors in your writing. It ensures that your style and tone doesn’t change midway in a sentence.
Punctuation Checker: WhiteSmoke Writer identifies both obvious mistakes that you probably just missed because of working quickly as well as less-obvious punctuation mistakes.
The tool highlights the errors and offers possible situations. Therefore, you can learn and avoid such mistakes again.
Translator: WhiteSmoke has usage examples for every translated word, displaying how it is used in a sentence. It also provides you with full-text and word-to-word translation to and from 55 languages.
The WhiteSmoke Translator can be used by academics and professionals from all fields and specialties. You can connect with people from different countries around the world in different languages with this tool.
- WEB: $5.00 / Month
- PREMIUM: $6.66 / Month
- BUSINESS: $11.50 / Month
If we are talking about the best Grammarly alternatives, Ginger has to be mentioned.
Be it any platform- Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, or MS-Office- Ginger will ensure error-free writing. It corrects all types of grammatical mistakes including punctuation, sentence structure, and style.
Ginger corrects everything from misused words to subject-verb agreement to contextual spelling. It is an online tool you can use for free.
Grammar Checker: Ginger corrects all types of grammatical mistakes including topics that are not addressed by any other grammar correction program.
The tool recognizes the misused words in any sentence and replaces them with the correct ones. Even if you drift far from the original word, Ginger will correct it for you.
Spell Checker: Ginger Spell Checker corrects your typos, phonetic mistakes, severe spelling mistakes, and misused words based on the context of a sentence.
English spelling can be tricky. With the Ginger Spell Checker, you correct even the most severe spelling mistakes with unmatched accuracy. Ginger also corrects any type of grammatical and punctuation mistake.
Sentence Rephraser: If your sentences are bland, Ginger will help you. Ginger’s Sentence Rephraser makes it simple for anyone to write high-quality text.
It helps you include idioms, suitable synonyms, and antonyms in your text. In addition, Sentence Rephraser also adds missing words, completes fragmented sentences, and fixes spelling mistakes all under the context of your sentence.
Text Reader: Tired eyes? Need to read the reports? Well, Ginger has a solution for you.
Ginger Text Reader reads aloud texts from MS-Word documents, PowerPoint presentations, Outlook, and any website opened with FireFox, Internet Explorer, or Chrome browsers. You can choose between a male or female voice with either US or UK accents.
It allows speed and volume control and you can play/pause the reader at any point. Ginger highlights the word it is currently reading so you don’t lose the section.
Translation: Ginger Translate is a free translation software that offers language translation between forty languages. You can download it for free.
Simply type/paste your text and choose from a multitude of languages. This helps you in business as well as to avoid translation mistakes.
Dictionary: Ginger provides you with a free English dictionary. You can simply download Ginger Define’s free English dictionary software and use it at your ease.
It does not only find the meaning of the word but also its synonyms. That way you can enhance your text. It also works on all devices.
Not only PRO Writing Aid is among the best alternatives of Grammarly, but there are certain aspects where it is even better than it.
PRO Writing Aid provides many features for free which are under the premium plan of Grammarly. It improves the readability and strength of your text. You get access to synonym suggestions and many features for free.
Grammar Checker: PRO Writing Aid does more than a simple grammar check.
The editing tool highlights elements like repetitiveness, vague wording, sentence length variation, over-dependence on adverbs, passive voice, over-complicated sentence constructions, and so much more.
Spelling Checker: PRO Writing Aid delivers spelling and readability improvements in real-time as you write. It ensures that your documents are free of any error.
Style Checker: Style suggestions of the tool improves the power and clarity of your writing. It also helps you find the perfect words that fit the context.
Edit anywhere, anytime: ProWritingAid easily integrates with MS Word/Outlook, Google Docs, Scrivener, Open Office, and Final Draft so you can edit wherever you write. It also offers extensions for Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Safari. You can check your writing on almost every website, including Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, Medium, Wattpad, and more.
Customize ProWritingAid: ProWritingAid allows individuals and organizations to create their own style guides and dictionaries. So you don’t have to worry while using acronyms or personal nouns.
- Monthly Plan: $20 per month
- Annual Plan: $50
- Lifetime Plan: $224
It offers substantial discounts on the purchase of multiple licenses.
- 3-4 licenses: 10% discount
- 5-9 licenses: 15% discount
- 10-15 licenses: 20% discount
- 16 or more licenses: 25% discount
This tool not only focuses on the grammar portion but the overall outlook of your prose. It enhances the readability of your text by pointing out the errors.
HemingWay uses different colors to let you know the mistakes. The highlights disappear as you edit and rectify the error. Therefore, it is considered among the best Grammarly alternatives.
- HemingWay does not need an internet connection to work. You can use it anywhere on your laptop.
- The tool highlights adverbs, passive voice, and dull, complicated words. This helps in improving readability.
- HemingWay makes text formatting easy for you with a simple click. It also handles everything you need for a web page, including HTML headings, formatting, and links.
- Hemingway has one-click integrations with Medium and any WordPress blog, So you can publish a blog or post right from the Hemingway Editor.
- You can import text from Word .docx files to HemingWay, and vice versa. In addition, you can save a piece of writing, with all the Hemingway highlights intact. Perfect for showing people what improvements they need to make.
You can use the online version for free. However, you need to download the app if you want to use it anywhere without an internet connection. And that will cost you $19.99.
5. Slick Write
Slick Write is a suitable candidate if you are looking for the best Grammarly alternatives.
The powerful tool is free to use. It checks your writing for grammar errors, potential stylistic mistakes, and other features of interest.
Whether you’re a blogger, novelist, SEO professional, or student writing an essay for school, Slick Write can help take your writing to the next level. You need not install any software for the tool to work.
- Slick Write assists you in using correct grammar and diverse vocabulary. It improves your writing structure and suggests the proper wording.
- Whether it is a resume or an assignment, Slick Write can make anything look professional or educational according to your needs.
- You can customize it to suit your style.
- Slick Write protects your privacy.
- It offers extensions for Chrome and Firefox.
This tool has 10+ years of experience in Artificial Intelligence, with the latest neural machine translation technologies. As a result, you get accurate translations.
Reverso helps to build your vocabulary besides your grammar skills. You can check the spelling of a particular word and easily find synonyms for it. Find the translation or definition of millions of words: idiomatic phrases, specialized vocabulary, slang, neologisms, etc.
- Personal Data protection
- Translation in languages such as English, Spanish, French, German, Arabic, Russian, and many more.
- Pronunciation by native speakers to improve your oral skills
- Review and edit your translated content through a simple interface.
- Your original text is automatically revised with an integrated spell-checker, resulting in a higher quality translation.
- Integrated dictionaries with synonyms in one click and translations with examples in context
- Monthly: 9.99EUR per month, up to 6,000 words per month
- Annual: 5.99EUR per month, up to 75,000 words per year
This is one of the best Grammarly alternatives and free to use.
Online Correction finds spelling, as well as basic grammar and stylistic mistakes, in English texts. It does so using different colored highlights that make proofreading easy.
- Free-to-use Grammar checker
- Spots spelling errors
- Rectifies stylistic mistakes
- Option for Auto-correction
- Offers suggestions for sentence construction and vocabulary
8. Paper Rater
This tool uses Artificial Intelligence and Data Science, to analyze your prose in real-time. You can get the results typically 5-15 seconds after submission. And you don’t even need to download the app.
Paper Rater offers plagiarism checking, automated proofreading, grammar check, and automated scoring. The tool does not require downloads or sign-ups. That makes it a favorite of thousands of people.
- Paper rater offers an Originality Score that shows the percentage of your paper that is original. You can avoid plagiarism as well as provide citations where necessary.
- Paper Rater has patented grammar and spelling correction software.
- Automated proofreader that runs 24/7 generating results in seconds.
- Detects passive voice
- Provides readability stats of your text
- For students: An Automated Scoring provides you a score as to what you might actually get in real-life.
- Vocabulary Builder that provides a word, its definition, and examples of its use within real sentences.
Paper Rater offers free service. But you can also avail the premium plan at $14.95 per month. It comes with advanced features that you won’t get with the free plan.
This tool uses a machine learning system trained on millions of English sentences. It suggests responses based on team knowledge bank. So the agents can quickly respond to customers.
Sapling will automatically suggest responses to customer chats or helpdesk tickets by matching customer inquiries with relevant replies. Therefore, you can avoid typos and keep your customers happy.
- Identifies 60% more language quality issues than other spelling and grammar checkers
- Ensures professional and consistent communication
- Eliminates repetitive tasks for sales and customer support teams
- Increase efficiency and customer satisfaction
- Available as a browser extension for Chrome, Edge, and Firefox.
Sapling offers a free plan and a PRO Plan. The PRO plan will cost you $25 / month.
If you are a writer-novice or professional-this is the best Grammarly alternative for you.
AutoCrit offers many spectacular features that you won’t get with Grammarly. It is built to match the genuine demands of publishing professionals and discerning readers. AutoCrit gives you step-by-step recommendations for improving your manuscript based on what real readers want to see.
- Produce cleaner dialogue
- Eliminate needless filler
- Perfect your pacing and fine-tune the emotional tone of your writing.
- Suits the needs of each genre of writing
- Compare your writing style to esteemed authors.
- Perfect for Students, Journalists, and Editorial Writers
- Specific settings to guide you in editing for magazine and news formats.
- Free Plan
- Professional Plan: At $30 per month
- Annual Plan: At $297 per year
Even if you are not in the profession of writing, you need a grammar checker. And with the abundant content online, a plagiarism checker also becomes a must. Grammarly is a useful tool in such cases. But it is not the only tool.
We just listed out the best Grammarly alternatives. Many of the tools mentioned above are free to use. Also some, like AutoCrit and PRO Writing Aid, are even better than Grammarly in certain aspects.
For students, Slick Write, and HemingWay is perfect. This way they can improve both the grammar and readability of their texts. And all of this for free.
Professionals can opt for ProWritingAid, WhiteSmoke, and Ginger. While for writers and editors, Autocrit proves to be the best Grammarly alternative.BEST GRAMMARLY ALTERNATIVES